Setlist: Bob Mould Band — Variety Playhouse, Atlanta GA, 03 Oct 1998

Moving Trucks
Taking Everything
First Drag Of The Day
I Hate Alternative Rock
Stand Guard
Fort Knox, King Solomon
Art Crisis
New #1
Anymore Time Between
Eternally Fried
Lonely Afternoon
Reflecting Pool
Deep Karma Canyon

Hanging Tree

Man On The Moon

See A Little Light

Bob Mould -- guitar, vocals
Michael Cerveris -- rhythm guitar, backing vocals
Jim Wilson -- bass, backing vocals
Matt Hammon -- drums

Thanks to Mark Weygandt, from whose website (now defunct) this information was retrieved, along with the informal show reviews and comments below, which were originally posted to the Sugar internet mailing list:


From: Paul Hilcoff

Another good one last night.  I enjoyed meeting so many listers--
Voodoodoll, Dan, George A. Middlebrooks (you need a shorter nickname!),
Joe Cooper, Travis, the lurker who flew in with his wife from San 
Antonio (Ken?), Matt G, a couple of others I'm overlooking.  I got a 
kick of watching the crowd react to "Man On The Moon," which the band 
had been rehearsing for a couple of days, and finally felt ready to 
attempt.  The Variety's a neat venue, but Little Five Points loses 
Bohemian-cred points big time for all its shops being closed by 8pm on 
a Saturday.


From: Brandon

This was the first time I've seen Bob live (I've only been a fan for about 3
years) and I was blown away.  What a powerful performance!  The loud songs
rocked appropriately, and the not-as-loud songs were just beautiful...
especially "anymore time between"... man, I wish I had videotaped Bob
playing that song.

Can't say I liked Varnaline.  Too bad... I was hoping they'd be good... but
dammit, they bored me a little too much.

The crowd in Atlanta was great.  A lot of moving around, occasional dancing,
but no one pushing or making asses of themselves up in front.  When Bob came
out and opened with a couple songs from the new album (Moving Trucks, Taking
Everything) there didn't seem to be a lot of "raw energy" up on stage... or
maybe I just wasn't used to those earplugs yet.  Anyway, they picked up the
pace immediately after that, played an awesome set, and came back for three
(!) encores.

I was at the show with Les (on the list) and Mike (also on the list??), and
afterwards we hung around and met Bob.  I didn't have any pressing questions
for him and didn't want to sound ridiculous, so I just stayed close and


From: Dan Boorstein

there's already been a couple posts about the Atlanta show last night
but i wanted to stress a few points that made it a great show for me.

first off, at the show there was a guy holding a sign that said "JC
Auto". i kept thinking to myself "poor guy. too bad he doesn't know that
they're not playing Sugar songs." well, i was wrong. the surprise of the
show was definitely when those first few chords of "Man on the Moon"
fell upon my ears.

second on my list of highlights would be "Hanging Tree". one of my
favorite songs that contains one of my favorite lyrics; "stained
glass window never gonna carry my name". always reminds me of the line
from "moonstruck" by nicholas cage's character; "i ain't no fuckin'
monument to justice." it's been 8+ years since i've heard him sing this
song "loud" and it was worth the wait. absolutely amazing!


From: George A Middlebrooks

Well, my first (and last, as Bob was so quick to remind) Loud Bob show was
incredible...I met a few listers, stood at The Man's feet during the
entire show (and directly in front of the Marshall cabinet, which is why
I'm not hearing too well), and got a generous spray of water when he did
his fountain thing. 

The whole set went really smoothly, but the highlight was when they played
"Man on The Moon" in an perfection, if I may add. I'm not too
sure of how many people around us were aware of the significance of


From: Kenneth W. Schuller

Well, I'm back from Champaign finally, and have the time to post my thoughts
on the Atlanta show.

Due to an airline screw-up, Sherry and I got into Atlanta a bit later than
we had orignially planned.  I was absolutely frantic, but all worked out
well, and we parked next to the Variety about 4:30.  My apologies to Paul
for offering to lend my back and not being able to deliver.  :(

Little Five Points was COOL.  It reminded me a lot of the north side of
Chicago, where I spent WAY too many weekends as a teenager.  :)

I have to admit it-  the first thing I did was take a peek around backstage
at the Variety to see what was going on.  I could hear the PA check going-
they were checking drum mikes, that kind of thing.  I saw one of the doors
ajar, so I took my chances and knocked.  Charles, Bob's guitar tech (picture
on the Granary Web site) was kind enough to take a card I had brought for
Bob (his birthday and mine are two days apart) and pass it along for me.
REALLY nice of him to do that, and I really appreciated it.  Charles also
mentioned that Bob wasn't there yet, and sound check most likely wouldn't be
until about 6 that evening (wink, wink).  So, knowing that we had about an
hour and a half to kill, Sherry and I checked out some of the shops and
things.  We really enjoyed the area-  friendly, unassuming people and lots
of neat little stores-  again, much like the north side of Chicago.

We made it back to the Variety just before 6 and walked around back again.
How cool- we stood at the stage doors (we coudn't see anything, but the
sound was PERFECT) and listened to the entire sound check!  That was a
blast.  Funny, too-  a couple of guys from the sound crew came strolling out
while Sherry and I were standing there, and I had that "deer in the
headlights" thing happening.  :)  I asked if it was okay for us to be there,
and the sound guys, just like everyone else the whole day, were really cool.
No problems whatsoever.  Charles strolled out with his camera to take
pictures (most memorable was a shot of the dumpster behind the Variety-  we
cracked some jokes about how any image is fun if you have a scanner and
Photoshop), and Paul was right behind him-  so we finally got a chance to
meet as well.

Funny, funny stuff-  after soundcheck was over, Sherry and I went back out
front to get ready to line up for our tickets.  I'm standing there gabbing
with a couple of the listers, comparing notes and talking about how great
Bob is and how I'd been waiting nearly 15 years to see him, and the guys
point out that he was standing all of 10 feet behind me!  I thereby dub
myself Baton-Waving Grand Marshall of the Dork Parade.  :)  Got my minute or
two before Bob went to eat to shake his hand and tell him how much his work
has done for me over the years.  Wow.  Took me 15 years, but finally.  Bob
has a reputation for being a really nice guy, but wow.  As down-to-earth as
could be.  Did I mention he's a nice guy?  :)

I don't know, it must be something in the water in Atlanta- even the
security and staff in the Variety were nice.  Sherry and I had a few beers
out in the "smoking alley" while waiting for Varnaline to come on and really
enjoyed talking to all the folks out there.

We walked in a bit late for Varnaline, but caught everything but the opening
two or three minutes.  My thoughts?  Good band-  really good band.  I have
to be honest, they sound like a lot of the bands that come down from Austin
to slum and play here in Saint Tony Town, but that doesn't detract from
their music.  Good stuff, and I'll be keeping an ear open for them.  Yes,
the drummer was nutz.  :)

Well, of course, Varnaline finished their set, and Sherry and I ducked out
for our last-minute pre-Bob Marlboros.  (I haven't quit yet, but if it does
for my voice/stamina what it did for Bob's voice as of recent, I'll be
tossing out the ashtrays soon...  )  Literally dashed back in after about
5 minutes and were lucky enough to get right up front, in front of stage
right.  Geez, even the crowd was nice-  no pushing, no shoving, nobody
crushed my 5'4" wife, life was good.  :)

I won't be redundant and repost the setlist.  It's back about 7 digests from
here.  All I can say is for two hours, I didn't move, I didn't think about
anything else and I was amazed.  Bob was animated, in good spirits (smirking
lots and lots) and seemed to be having a great time.  I don't know where he
gets the energy-  the Atanta show was his fifth in as many days.  The crowd
really made this show though-  people shut up when they were supposed to,
and went nuts when they were supposed to as well.  As expected, a bunch of
people went crazy when Bob launched into Man on the Moon.  :)  Justifiably
so.  :)

Post-show, hung out back with about 20 people- chatted with, and took a
picture with, Paul, and compared notes on how things were going for the
tour.  Thanks for the Granary stickers!

Bob popped out the stage door about 20 minutes later, and hung out for about
half an hour signing autographs and chatting with people. Again, just as I
mentioned pre-show, what a great guy.  I can't speak for fans of other rock
performers, but Bob Mould fans are spoiled rotten.  :)  (To lend some
contrast, Sherry and I caught Tori Amos the previous Wednesday-  also a
great performer, but not even accessible by her fans.  Rest assured, we are


From: Paul S.

I thought Bob and Co. were right on this night. The way they segued from one 
tune to another was amazing. Highlights were "Stand Guard", "Disappointed", 
"Ego Override", "Man on the Moon", and one from "Workbook", the name of 
which eludes me. A chilling "Time Between" was fucking classic in its 
ability to make the crowd stand with jaws agape. I think I heard a pin drop 
on this one! I was sort of disappointed (oops) that no covers nor Husker 
chessnuts were played, maybe "No Reservations" or "Chartered Trips" or 
"Cinnamon Girl". I realize that Bob takes a John Fogerty-esque stance on 
those tunes, and that those were the "poison years". But if this is really 
his last electric tour, call me selfish. Besides, when I was going to the 
University of Connecticut in the 80's I missed the Agora Ballroom show in 
Hartford in 87-88. Some friends of mine went, and apparently this one punker 
dude John was drunk and stupid enough to throw a bottle onstage, which ended 
up busting Grant's cymbal, causing Mr. Hart to hurl epithets at said asshole. 
Husker Du broke up a month later, I think, and I never got to see 'em. Sorry, 
Bob! Peace. (I need to pick up the new album.) 


From: Stephen Pecot

Well, it took me 12 years and finally saw Bob Sat. night in Atlanta. I got 
to meet him before the show (yes, Bob, that was me that had you sign the 
pickguard) but he was talking to friends so I got out of the way ASAP. To 
say that this was the best show I've ever seen would be a horrible 
understatement. I have a copy of the London concert after New Day Rising 
was released and I gotta tell you that Bob has lost none of that magic. I 
think he laid waste to the entire audience, and I believe he enjoyed himself 
at this show (again, never been to another so I can't say with impunity).

Anyway, the set list is already up so I won't repeat that. Man on the Moon 
was an absolute surprise to everyone there and put the show onto an even 
higher plane. I believe that Hanging Tree or Reflecting Pool were the shining 
points. No, I take that back--everything was.


From: Holden Reaves

This was the best Bob Mould show I have seen since his Workbook tour. He 
really seemed energized, his voice was excellent, and the crowd was treated to his vintage
goofy moves on stage (haven't seen that since Husker Du days). Bob looks like 
a healthy toadfrog on stage. I guess since this is the last electric tour, Bob has chosen to
really give it his all. Played over an hour and a half, unlike the last SUGAR 
show at the Cradle, where he hardly played an hour. Great show.

Return to Hüsker Dü dates page